October 26, 2011

Twins (October 26th, 2011)

I'm sorry to ask
but do you have panic attacks?
Do you worry yourself to bits?
No, please
don't walk away.
I know it's invasive
and I wouldn't ask but
you get it.
I think we might be the same.
True Twins,
because I think you're as lost as me.
Please excuse me for saying so.
If we could talk for a minute
without a joke or a jump
we could maybe just use each other
as a soundboard.

You're far away,
in bed with me.
Close my eyes and hear your voice
through a tunnel.
You sound like me.
And if I'm right
(and I've got a hunch)
you're sorely afraid of what you could do
if you stayed in your head
Breathe
trust me.
Let me go down the list
of your heart and blood.
Let me run my hand over yours
and whisper what I feel.

First is love conquering all, yes?
Then denial, wreckage. Shh, it's okay.
Third, you are bitter about the one that threw you away.
Now I'm scattering kisses over your two masks
knowing that you don't know which is your face.
Fifth, I feel your scars from pulling free.
My fingers stutter over ambition.
Then I felt the lies you spun for love
the sweat you spent in vain.
Quiet, now, while I heal the cuts
of the realization of futility.
Ninth, the knots of impatience in your knuckles.
The skin is dry with the rub of the chains
holding you to those words around you.
And finally, the eleventh wound,
an old one you keep reopening.
I feel you still waiting.

Don't turn away
Twins, like you and me,
stick together
because only we know what it's like.

No comments:

Post a Comment